Eunice, New Mexico is a small town located in Lea County. It has a population of approximately 2,300 people and is known as the “Oasis of the Plains” due to its lush vegetation. Geographically, Eunice is situated in the southeastern corner of the state and it sits on the edge of the Llano Estacado or “Staked Plains”, an area of flat land that stretches across much of West Texas and Eastern New Mexico. The climate in Eunice is semi-arid with hot summers and cool winters. Check whicheverhealth for information about Angel Fire, New Mexico.
The history of Eunice dates back to 1881 when it was founded by a man named J.W. Edgerton who named it after his daughter, Eunice Edgerton. In its early years, Eunice was a small farming town with cotton as its main crop but over time it became an oil boomtown as oil was discovered nearby in 1928. Since then, oil has been an important part of the local economy as well as agriculture and tourism.
Politically, Eunice is part of New Mexico’s second congressional district which is represented by Representative Xochitl Torres Small who is a Democrat. In terms of education, there are two schools in town: Eunice Elementary School and Eunice High School which both serve students from kindergarten through twelfth grade.
The most prominent landmark in Eunice is the historic First Baptist Church which was built in 1906 and still stands today as a reminder of the town’s past. Other notable landmarks include Edgerton Park which features several sculptures created by local artists, and La Paloma Hot Springs which offers visitors natural mineral-rich hot springs for relaxation and healing purposes.
Population: 2,562. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,602 (+1.6% change)
Males: 1,282 (50.0%), Females: 1,280 (50.0%)
Zip code: 88231
Median resident age: 34.1 years
Median household income: $31,722
Median house value: $38,500
Races in Eunice:
- White Non-Hispanic (57.9%)
- Hispanic (39.6%)
- Other race (24.4%)
- Two or more races (2.9%)
- Black (1.1%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (13.9%), Irish (7.1%), English (6.8%), German (5.1%), Dutch (2.3%), Scotch-Irish (1.6%).
Elevation: 3448 feet
Land area: 2.9 square miles
Eunice, New Mexico is a small town located in the southeastern corner of the state. The population of Eunice is just under 2,000 people, with most of its citizens living in the town’s rural area. The median age in Eunice is 37.6 years old and the gender makeup of the town is almost evenly split between males and females.
The economy of Eunice is mainly driven by oil and gas production as well as agriculture, with many residents working in these industries or related services. The cost of living in Eunice is significantly lower than the national average due to its rural location and low population density. Housing costs are quite reasonable compared to other parts of New Mexico and there are many affordable rental options for those who don’t own their own home. Food costs are also relatively low thanks to local farmers markets that provide fresh produce at competitive prices. Additionally, utilities such as electricity and water are quite affordable due to state subsidies for rural areas like Eunice. Overall, living costs in this small town remain favorable despite its remote location.
For population 25 years and over in Eunice
- High school or higher: 66.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 9.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.1%
- Unemployed: 10.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 19.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Eunice city
- Never married: 21.7%
- Now married: 60.5%
- Separated: 2.6%
- Widowed: 6.5%
- Divorced: 8.7%
12.9% Foreign born (12.9% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -125 (-4.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Eunice:
- LEA REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 19 miles; HOBBS, NM)
- MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 36 miles; SEMINOLE, TX)
- NOR LEA GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 38 miles; LOVINGTON, NM)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Eunice:
- LEA COUNTY RGNL (about 18 miles; HOBBS, NM; Abbreviation: HOB)
- MIDLAND INTERNATIONAL (about 76 miles; MIDLAND, TX; Abbreviation: MAF)
- CAVERN CITY AIR TRML (about 76 miles; CARLSBAD, NM; Abbreviation: CNM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Eunice:
- EUNICE (about 5 miles; EUNICE, NM; Abbreviation: E04)
- LEA COUNTY/JAL/ (about 23 miles; JAL, NM; Abbreviation: E26)
- LEA COUNTY-ZIP FRANKLIN MEMORIAL (about 39 miles; LOVINGTON, NM; Abbreviation: E06)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Eunice:
- ODESSA COLLEGE (about 63 miles; ODESSA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,555)
- MIDLAND COLLEGE (about 80 miles; MIDLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,800)
- SOUTH PLAINS COLLEGE (about 96 miles; LEVELLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,851)
- EASTERN NEW MEXICO UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 120 miles; PORTALES, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,955)
- TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY (about 123 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Full-time enrollment: 22,439)
- SUL ROSS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 147 miles; ALPINE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,076)
- WAYLAND BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 157 miles; PLAINVIEW, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,578)
Public high school in Eunice:
- EUNICE HIGH (Students: 205; Location: 1009 19TH STREET; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in Eunice:
- EUNICE HOLINESS ACADEMY (Students: 14; Location: P O BOX 599; Grades: 1 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Eunice:
- METTIE JORDAN ELEM. (Students: 269; Location: 120016TH STREET; Grades: PK – 05)
- CATON MIDDLE (Students: 127; Location: 1106 16TH STREET; Grades: 06 – 08)
Library in Eunice:
- EUNICE PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $108,197; Location: 10TH ST. & AVENUE N.; 30,113 books; 997 audio materials; 997 video materials; 42 serial subscriptions)