Despite having appeared for the first time in the 16th century (history of the watch), the mechanics, the functionality and the design of pocket watches were improved progressively until the 19th century, when they reached the peak of your popularity. The form and practical use of wristwatches made pocket watches were stored. However, today continue to enjoy a status, authenticity and very own class and are the dream of every collector. Are you waiting for to start collecting?
A collection of antique pocket watches is not as a collection of postcards or pens, where the amount you earn many times the quality. While collector’s item, before starting a collection of pocket watches should familiarize themselves with this world, that is, with the different types and models, the main manufacturers and, of course, how much it’s worth what. There’s a lot of Biography online and offline (magazines, guides, books …) about this hobby and we advise you to devour everything, comparing sources, information and pricing.
By now some model or brand captured your attention and thank God! It is necessary to define what kind of antique Pocket Watch will collect and, of course, be awarded a budget. Then you can return their attention exclusively to these pieces.
Be aware of the different prices and see more than one source, that is, compare values, ask in onlinecommunities, visit a reputable watch and connect to the ads that many collectors put in newspapers. The idea is to look for the best “bargain” of the market, but an old pocket watch that really worth the value assigned to it.
The purchase of your first pocket watch antique, one who will inaugurate the your collection, it’s always a highlight, so don’t pass in front of any of the previous steps to not fall into the risk of buying a watch to go repent or, worse, that can discourage and make him forget the collection. Of course, with each successful purchase, and not only, will learn and refine the art that is to acquire pieces of collection. Always be aware of new sources and opportunities.
Take care of your collection of antique pocket watches the same way it does for those who uses daily. Don’t forget that these parts value over time, so the best preserved are the better!
Before buying, be sure to …
- Ask who is the manufacturer, when and where it was produced the clock. Much of the old pocket watches have a serial number which is very useful to situate the piece in history, measure your rarity and assign it a value. This also not to run the risk of buying a copy rather than an original.
- Discover the history and the owner (s) behind the clock. A knowledge (more or less thorough) about its origins and where have you been until you arrive at your hands is priceless.
- Find out if the watch still works with entirely original parts or has been the subject of any repair.
- Know how long followed works the clock and hours regardless of the different positions can be placed (facing up, down, or vertically).
- Learn about the material that makes up the pocket watch case and if this shows signs of wear-this is especially important when it comes to boxes bathed in gold.
- Always ask if the Watch has defects and then not be in for a nasty surprise.
- Know if the Pocket Watch has some own accessory, if the original wire. If so, it is always better to purchase both.
- Be careful with the vague descriptions. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is! See what you want to buy. If you are buying online, ask to see current photos of the Pocket Watch (front, back and side). If you go to an antique shop, or watch, so much the better, you can see the watch with their own eyes and hands. If you make a purchase online, check the score of different vendors and read reviews from other buyers.
Rare Vintage Old AGAT 2-button Soviet STOP WATCH USSR …
18ct Pocket Watch
Mens Pocket Watches
Antique Vintage Retro Style Quartz Pocket Watch Mens …
Rare Vintage Old AGAT 1-button Soviet STOP WATCH USSR …
VINTAGE 16 SIZE WALTHAM POCKET WATCH GRADE 620 FROM 1902 …
Gold Link Pocket Watch · Free Stock Photo
Steampunk Skeleton Mechanical Black Gold Open Face Retro …
Antique 1800’s Bosson French Rose Cut Diamond & Bloodstone …
Fine Silver Victorian Pocket Watch from Consti Mathey.
Waltham 6s 7j Hunting Pocket Watch Movement #4315233 …
MOLNIJA 3602 Taschenuhr CCCP USSR LENIN Kommunist russian …
What We Buy/Sell
SET OF 14 POCKET WATCH KEYS SIZE 00-12 TOOLS WINDER …
Buy Vintage necklace TRIFARI
17 Best images about 1840’s Rings on Pinterest
Antique Hourglass | Ticking Away | Pinterest
Inside the abandoned Welsh farmhouse which has been empty …
Zenith Watch Parts
Weird Gun Wednesday: Mershon and Hollingsworth Revolver …
Vintage Syren Full Hunter Pocket Watch
Pinterest • The world’s catalog of ideas
2015 Fashion Men Vintage Hand Wind Pocket Watch Antique …
1 Pc Medium Vintage Style Pocket Watch Necklace Amber Glass
Aliexpress.com : Buy PACIFISTOR Pocket Watch Mens …
ILLINOIS WATCH CO. POCKET WATCH SERIAL#121914 ANTIQUE …
Antique Waltham Pocket Watch 14K Gold with Hunter Case …
ANTIQUE 1871 COIN SILVER ELGIN POCKET WATCH 18 SIZE 7 …
Time hangin round my neck 🙂 | My Style Pinboard